1. Secondary school diploma equivalent to the Dutch VWO
Check if your diploma meets our requirements
You can use the Diploma Calculator to check if your secondary school diploma meets our admissions requirement of being equivalent to the Dutch VWO. To use the diploma calculator:
- Type in your country or name of your diploma (for example "France" or "International Baccalaureate")
- Check under the section "Diploma Requirements"
- You will then see a list of diploma equivalencies and requirements for various University of Amsterdam programmes. Please only focus on the section under "Diploma Requirements".
- 2. English language requirements
- 3. Mathematics requirements (varies per major)
Average GPA (Grade Point Average)
AUC students have on average a secondary school GPA of 7.0 or above in the Dutch system. It’s good to keep in mind that this is only an average based on applicants from previous years. It also means that students with a GPA lower than 7.0 (or the equivalent in their grading system) have applied and have been accepted to AUC. The GPA is only one indicator used when assessing an application alongside equally important elements such as individual motivation, a clear affinity for studying a liberal arts and sciences programme, and your personal interests and talents. We are also attentive to explanations of why your grades may not necessarily reflect your academic ability or other contextual factors that might have influenced your secondary school results. If you have a slightly lower GPA but meet our mathematics and English proficiency requirements, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Characteristics of AUC students:
The AUC Admissions Committee looks for students with the following characteristics:
- academic ability to meet the demands of the AUC programme
- motivation and ambition to study an intensive and broad programme
- commitment to contribute to the AUC community
If you do not (yet) meet the admissions requirements, you can still apply. Small deficiencies in meeting English and/or maths requirements will not prevent your application from being reviewed and you will be able to work toward rectifying these deficiencies before your intended start date at AUC. Any offer of a place at AUC will be on a conditional basis. The conditions will be specified in the letter offering you a place. You will have to meet those conditions before you can be admitted, but this should not deter you from applying.