With respect to teaching and learning specifically, we believe that excellence means:
- A reciprocal commitment to demanding academic standards and engagement from both teachers and students.
- Students take ownership of their learning process: prepare, participate, interact and engage in self-reflection.
- Students are encouraged to learn more than expected, think critically and make connections with what is going on in science and society.
- The teacher is an inspiring source of knowledge and provides guidance for learning.
- The student needs knowledge, to develop understanding and to analyse before being able to critically discuss a subject.
- While focusing on core concepts in their courses, teachers relate course subjects to other fields and disciplines.
- The teacher varies the forms of class activities and evaluation.