How to apply for a Talent Fellowship at AUC
Please note that the deadline for submitting an application for a Talent Fellowship at AUC for September 2023 has passed (1 April 2023). More information about how to apply for a Talent Fellowship at AUC starting in September 2024 will be available on this section of the website in October 2023.
About the Talent Fellowship at AUC
The AUC Scholarship Fund (ASF) launched the Talent Fellowship at AUC (TFA) in 2022. The TFA aims to empower the next generation of talented Dutch students from underrepresented communities in higher education. Talent Fellows receive €2500 per academic year from the ASF and participate in a personalised talent development programme. In addition to financial support, TFA fellows are invited to participate in annual personal development activities, as well as networking events. The personal development activities are designed to teach students essential skills needed to succeed as academics and young professionals. The networking events allow students to start building strong professional networks that can propel their careers forward once they leave AUC.
The Talent Fellowship at AUC consists of
- €2500 annually for three years
- Participation in a tailor-made personal development programme
- Access to a prestigious network
Amount of Talent Fellowships available
For the 2024-2025 cohort, we expect there will be a maximum of three (3) TFA fellowships available.
Application deadlines for Talent Fellowships at AUC
Talent Fellowships starting in
TFA application deadline
|Decision on who is awarded a fellowship|
Further information about Talent Fellowships at AUC
For more information about Talent Fellowships at AUC including eligibility and selection criteria, please read the fold-out sections below.
Timeline for Talent Fellowships starting in September 2023
The applications for the Talent Fellowships at AUC for September 2023 opened in October 2022. The deadline for applying for a Talent Fellowship at AUC starting in September 2023 was 1 April 2023. Selection will be done as quickly as possible in April 2023 for students starting at AUC in the autumn (September) 2023 semester, and recipients will be notified in late April/early May 2024 if they have been awarded a Talent Fellowship at AUC. No correspondence with the ASF Selection Committee or ASF Board about the selection will be accepted.
Eligibility for Talent Fellowships at AUC
The ASF Selection Committee, consisting of representatives of the ASF sponsors and an independent chair, considers all the applications and makes recommendations to the ASF Board on which students should be invited as Talent Fellows at AUC. For your fellowship application to be considered by the ASF Selection Committee, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have also submitted an application for admission to AUC. Admission to AUC is a separate process. For more information, see the section on applications and admissions. Only those who apply and are accepted to AUC can join the Talent Fellowship at AUC.
- You must have completed your secondary education in the Kingdom of the Netherlands or have Dutch citizenship by the time you plan on starting your education at AUC.
- You must come from a background or group that is underrepresented in higher education. The Selection Committee has been asked to prioritise students with a migration background, including refugees, and Dutch students who are the first in their family to attend a college or university.
- You must meet the criteria to receive an additional grant (aanvullende beurs) from DUO.
Selection criteria for Talent Fellowships at AUC
The Talent Fellowship at AUC is a merit-based award, although there is a family income threshold (see the section below). The ASF Selection Committee selects the applicants to be recommended to receive a Fellowship based on the following criteria:
- Excellent school results. These are considered to be an indicator of your academic merit. Please note that the ASF Selection Committee will not see your application for admission to AUC and they will only receive information on your average secondary school grade (GPA) that you submit. If you want to communicate anything more to the Committee about your school results and academic ability, make sure to include it in your letter of motivation. This space can also be used to explain why you may not have high grades at the moment, but still believe you can perform well at AUC.
- Strong motivation to study liberal arts and sciences at AUC. The ASF Selection Committee will be looking for this in your letter of motivation.
- Demonstrated ambition and a passion for learning. Personal development is a priority for the Talent Fellowship at AUC and the ASF Selection Committee needs to see that you are committed to developing leadership qualities, excelling academically, and becoming exemplary and engaged members of the community.
- The ASF Selection Committee is also interested in your extracurricular accomplishments and activities. Give examples of both your individual accomplishments, as well as your contributions to your community or society, and your (potential) leadership profile and skills. Make sure to write about these in your letter of motivation.
Family income threshold for Talent Fellow recipients
Whether or not your family income falls below the threshold is measured by your eligibility for an additional grant (aanvullende beurs) from DUO. If you are not eligible for any additional grant, you will not be eligible for the Talent Fellowship at AUC. Please show that you are eligible to receive the additional grant using DUO’s rekenhulp tool. If you are selected for a Talent Fellowship you will have to provide official confirmation from DUO that you are eligible for an additional grant in order to join the programme.
Conditions for participating in the Talent Fellowship at AUC
Students selected for a Talent Fellowship at AUC must meet the following requirements in order to join the Talent Fellowship programme:
- A Talent Fellow must be fully admitted to Amsterdam University College. The Talent Fellowship at AUC cannot be transferred to another academic year or another academic programme.
- A Talent Fellow must have satisfied all visa and residence permit requirements, if applicable.
- A Talent Fellow must provide proof that they are eligible to receive an additional grant (aanvullende beurs) from DUO.
- A Talent Fellow cannot receive any other type of scholarship from the ASF (students can apply for both regular ASF scholarships and Talent Fellowships, but cannot receive both).
Payment of Talent Fellowships at AUC
The Talent Fellowship at AUC is paid directly to students in 10 instalments each year (no payments in July and August).
Conditions for maintaining a Talent Fellowship at AUC
We have high expectations of Talent Fellows. In order to continue to receive your Fellowship, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- TFA holders must maintain good academic standing and stay on track to graduate in three years.
- TFA holders must participate in the TFA personal development programme.
- TFA holders are important ambassadors for AUC and the Scholarship Fund. They are expected to participate in activities with AUC sponsors and other AUC contacts, including the AUC alumni network, and to cooperate in the promotion of the ASF.
- TFA holders must continue to be eligible for an additional grant (aanvullende beurs) from DUO and provide proof on request.
- TFA holders will be evaluated after one year of study. The Fellowship will be renewed automatically for another year if the student has successfully passed their first year (positive BSA decision or dispensation) and is meeting requirements 1 to 4. If a TFA holder is not meeting all of the requirements 1 to 4, they will be offered an opportunity to submit a motivated request for renewal. No renewal is possible in case of a negative BSA decision.
- TFA holders will be evaluated again at the end of their second year of study, and the Fellowship will be renewed automatically for a third and final year if the student continues to meet requirements 1 to 4. If a TFA holder is not meeting all of the requirements 1 to 4, they will be offered an opportunity to submit a motivated request for renewal.
- If the TFA holder decides to leave AUC without graduating, the Fellowship must be reimbursed in full to the ASF.
For general questions regarding AUC scholarships and Talent Fellowships at AUC, please feel free to contact an AUC Scholarship Fund representative by using the link below.