ASF scholarship application form
The application form for ASF Scholarships is now open for new students starting their studies at AUC in September 2023. Prospective students should be in the process of applying or have already submitted an application for admission to AUC when applying for an ASF Scholarship.
The AUC Scholarship Fund offers two levels of full ASF Scholarship:
- EU/EEA students: EUR 5550 per year
- Non-EU/EEA students: EUR 16550 per year
"EU/EEA students" includes Dutch students, and refers to students who are eligible to pay the statutory tuition fee for AUC (wettelijk collegegeld). Partial scholarships may also be awarded (these are usually 50% of the above amounts). To compare scholarship levels with the costs of studying at AUC, please follow the link to fees and costs.
ASF scholarship application deadlines
Scholarships starting in:
ASF application deadline:
When to apply
Scholarships for incoming students (starting September 2023)
For students applying to start at AUC in September 2023, you should apply for an ASF Scholarship after you have submitted your application for admission to AUC. You should apply for a scholarship before the ASF Scholarship deadline of 1 April 2023 (for scholarships starting in September 2023) even if you are still waiting to hear a decision on admission from the Admissions Committee.
Scholarships starting in February 2023 (current AUC students only)
For current AUC students*, the deadline for submitting your application for an ASF Scholarship starting in February 2023 was 1 December 2022. Selection will be done as quickly as possible for current AUC students who have applied for a scholarship starting in February 2023. You will be notified before 25 December 2022 if you have been awarded an ASF Scholarship. No correspondence with the ASF Selection Committee or ASF Board about the selection will be accepted.
*Please note that the chances for current AUC students being considered for an ASF scholarship are low unless there has been an unanticipated, sudden and drastic change in their family's financial circumstances since starting at AUC or since the former deadline of applying for a scholarship.
Scholarships starting in September 2023
The deadline for submitting your application for an ASF Scholarship starting in September 2023 is 1 April 2023. Selection will be done as quickly as possible in April 2023 for scholarships for students starting at AUC in the Autumn (September) 2023 semester, and you will be notified in late April/early May 2023 if you have been awarded an ASF scholarship. No correspondence with the ASF Selection Committee or ASF Board about the selection will be accepted.
Eligibility and selection criteria
The ASF Selection Committee, consisting of representatives of the ASF sponsors and an independent chair, considers all the applications and recommends which students should receive a scholarship to the ASF Board.
For your scholarship application to be considered by the ASF Selection Committee, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have also applied for a place at AUC. Admission to AUC is a separate process. For more information on applications and admissions, see the links in the left-hand menu. Only AUC students can receive an ASF scholarship.
- Your family income has to be below the threshold (see below).
ASF Scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need. The ASF Selection Committee selects the applicants to be recommended for a scholarship using the following criteria:
- Excellent school results. These are considered to be an indicator of your academic merit. Please note that the ASF Selection Committee will not see your AUC admission application and they will only receive information on your average secondary school grade (GPA). If you want to communicate anything more to the Committee about your school results and academic ability, make sure to include it in your letter of motivation. This space can also be used to explain why you may not have high grades at the moment, but still believe you can perform well at AUC.
- Strong motivation to study liberal arts and sciences at AUC. The ASF Selection Committee will be looking for this in your letter of motivation.
- The ASF Selection Committee is also interested in your extracurricular accomplishments and activities relevant for AUC. Not only your individual accomplishments but also your contributions to the community or society, as well as your (potential) leadership profile and skills. Make sure to write about these in your letter of motivation.
- First-generation university students and students from non-Western backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- Financial need. In other words, explain in your letter of motivation why it is important that you receive a scholarship.
Family income threshold
If your family income is above a certain amount, you will not be eligible for an ASF scholarship. You will need to send financial documents about your family income with your scholarship application. Only the total amount of your family income will be revealed to the Selection Committee members, and only to them. They will not see your financial documents, these will be used strictly internally and only to verify the information you have provided.
- If you are Dutch and/or eligible for Dutch student finance (studiefinancering) then your family income is measured by your eligibility for the additional grant (aanvullende beurs) from DUO. In order to be eligible for an ASF scholarship, you must receive or be eligible for the maximum additional grant (maximum aanvullende beurs).
- If you are not Dutch and not eligible for Dutch student finance (studiefinancering), then you need to calculate the total annual income before tax deductions of your parents/guardians, including non-taxable income such as benefits or pensions. This total needs to be below EUR 54,000 for you to be eligible for an ASF scholarship.
Conditions for receiving an ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarships will only be awarded to the selected students who meet the following requirements. If you fail to meet the following requirements, you cannot receive financial support.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must be fully admitted to Amsterdam University College. The ASF Scholarship cannot be transferred to another academic year or another academic programme.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have satisfied all visa and residence permit requirements, if applicable.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have proven both merit and financial need.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not receive another full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the ASF Scholarship. AUC must be notified (contact the AUC Scholarship Fund, see link below) if the student has been awarded another full scholarship, and which scholarship the student has decided to accept.
Payment of scholarship
ASF Scholarships are paid directly to the students in 10 monthly instalments. Students are responsible for paying their AUC tuition fee themselves; the Scholarship Fund does not pay their tuition fees for them.
Conditions for maintaining an ASF Scholarship
We have high expectations of ASF Scholarship holders. You will be expected to maintain good academic standing throughout your AUC studies, with good grades and no periods of probation, or risk losing your scholarship. You will be evaluated after one year of study at AUC, and your ASF Scholarship will be awarded for another year if you:
- have successfully passed the first year (a GPA of at least 7.0 or above and preferably with a GPA ≥ 8.0 )1
- receive a positive recommendation at the end of your first year from your AUC tutor and the Board of Examiners
- can prove that the financial need base has not changed.
The same procedure is followed at the end of your second year. ASF Scholarships are not, in principle, awarded for more than three years/six semesters in total.
If you are receiving an ASF Scholarship and you decide to, or have to, end your studies at AUC without graduating, your ASF Scholarship will be terminated, and you must reimburse the AUC Scholarship Fund in full for all the ASF Scholarship payments you have already received.
ASF Scholarship holders are important ambassadors for AUC and the Scholarship Fund. They are expected to participate in activities with AUC sponsors and other AUC contacts, including the AUC alumni network, and to cooperate in the promotion of the ASF. Your ASF Scholarship may be terminated if you unreasonably refuse to participate in such activities.
1 For students who started prior to academic year 2022-2023, this would be a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably with a GPA ≥ 3.5.
For general questions regarding AUC scholarships, please first view the FAQ and should you still have questions, please feel free to contact an AUC Scholarship Fund representative by using the links below.