Application & procedures ASF Scholarship
Here you can find the ASF Scholarship application form and practical information regarding ASF scholarship deadlines, amounts and selection criteria.
On this page:
ASF scholarship applications
ASF applications for February 2020
ASF Scholarships starting in February 2020 are only open to the following individuals:
- students who have already been accepted to AUC, but have deferred starting their studies at AUC until February 2020
- current AUC students who wish to apply for a scholarship for the first time
Please note that, although welcome to apply, the chances for current AUC students (situation 2 above) being considered for an ASF scholarship are low unless there has been an unanticipated, sudden and/or drastic change in their family's financial circumstances since starting at AUC or since the former deadline of applying for a scholarship for September 2019 (1 April 2019).
ASF applications for September 2020
The application form should also be used by students applying for an ASF Scholarship who plan to start their studies at AUC in September 2020. Students should have already submitted an application for admission to AUC when applying for an ASF Scholarship.
ASF application form
ASF scholarship application deadlines
ASF application deadline:
Scholarships starting in February 2020
The deadline for applications for an ASF Scholarship for students starting their studies (or continuing their studies) in February 2020 is 11 November 2019.
Scholarships starting in September 2020
The deadline for applications for an ASF Scholarship for students starting their studies at AUC in September 2020 is 1 April 2020.
When to apply and ASF application deadlines
Students wishing to apply to receive an ASF Scholarship starting in February 2020 or September 2020 should use the digital application form via the link above. Once your application for admission has been submitted to AUC, you may apply for an ASF Scholarship. You should apply for a scholarship before the ASF Scholarship deadlines of 11 November 2019 (for scholarships starting in February 2020) and 1 April 2020 (for scholarships starting in September 2020), even if you are still waiting to hear a decision regarding your application for admission from the Admissions Committee.
Scholarships starting in February 2020
The deadline for submitting your application for an ASF Scholarship starting in February 2020 is 11 November 2019. Selection will be done as quickly as possible for those who have applied for a scholarship starting in February 2020. You will be notified before 25 December 2019 if you have been awarded an ASF Scholarship. No correspondence with the ASF Selection Committee or ASF Board about the selection will be accepted.
Scholarships starting in September 2020
The deadline for submitting your application for an ASF Scholarship starting in September 2020 is 1 April 2020. Selection will then be done as quickly as possible in April 2020 for scholarships for students starting at AUC in the autumn (September) 2020 semester, and you will be notified in late April/early May 2020 if you have been awarded an ASF scholarship. No correspondence with the ASF Selection Committee or ASF Board about the selection will be accepted.
The AUC Scholarship Fund offers two levels of full ASF Scholarship:
- EU students: EUR 5100 per year
- Non-EU students: EUR 15300 per year
"EU students" includes Dutch students, and refers to students who are eligible to pay the statutory tuition fee for AUC (wettelijk collegegeld).
Partial scholarships may also be awarded (these are usually 50% of the above amounts).
To compare scholarship levels with the costs of studying at AUC, please follow the link below to our webpage on fees and costs.
Eligibility and selection criteria
The ASF Selection Committee, consisting of representatives of the ASF sponsors and an independent chair, considers all the applications and recommends which students should receive a scholarship to the ASF Board.
For your scholarship application to be considered by the ASF Selection Committee, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have also applied for a place at AUC. Admission to AUC is a separate process. For more information on applications and admissions, see the links in the left-hand menu. Only AUC students can receive an ASF scholarship.
- Your family income has to be below the threshold (see below).
ASF Scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need. The ASF Selection Committee selects the applicants to be recommended for a scholarship using the following criteria:
- Excellent school results. These are considered to be an indicator of your academic merit. Please note that the ASF Selection Committee will not see your AUC admission application, they will only receive information on your average secondary school grade (GPA). If you want to communicate anything more to the Committee about your school results and academic ability, make sure to include it in your letter of motivation.
- Strong motivation to study liberal arts and sciences at AUC. The ASF Selection Committee will be looking for this in your letter of motivation.
- The ASF Selection Committee is also interested in your extracurricular accomplishments and activities relevant for AUC. Not only your individual accomplishments but also your contributions to the community or society, as well as your (potential) leadership profile and skills. Make sure to write about these in your letter of motivation.
- Financial need. In other words, explain in your letter of motivation why it is important that you receive a scholarship.
Family income threshold
If your family income is above a certain amount, you will not be eligible for an ASF scholarship. You will need to send financial documents about your family income with your scholarship application. Only the total amount of your family income will be revealed to the Selection Committee members, and only to them. They will not see your financial documents, these will be used strictly internally and only to verify the information you have provided.
- If you are Dutch and/or eligible for Dutch student finance (studiefinancering) then your family income is measured by your eligibility for the additional grant (aanvullende beurs) from DUO. In order to be eligible for an ASF scholarship, you must receive or be eligible for the maximum additional grant (maximum aanvullende beurs).
If you are not Dutch and not eligible for Dutch student finance (studiefinancering), then you need to calculate the total annual income before tax deductions of your parents/guardians, including non-taxable income such as benefits or pensions. This total needs to be below EUR 46,000 for you to be eligible for an ASF scholarship.
Conditions for receiving an ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarships will only be awarded to the selected students who meet the following requirements. If you fail to meet the following requirements, you cannot receive financial support.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must be fully admitted to Amsterdam University College. The ASF Scholarship cannot be transferred to another academic year or another academic programme.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have satisfied all visa and residence permit requirements, if applicable.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have proven both merit and financial need.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not receive another full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the ASF Scholarship. AUC must be notified (contact the AUC Scholarship Fund, see link below) if the student has been awarded another full scholarship, and which scholarship the student has decided to accept.
Payment of scholarship
ASF Scholarships are paid directly to the students in 10 monthly instalments. Students are responsible for paying their AUC tuition fee themselves; the Scholarship Fund does not pay their tuition fees for them.
Conditions for maintaining an ASF Scholarship
We have high expectations of ASF Scholarship holders. You will be expected to maintain good academic standing throughout your AUC studies, with good grades and no periods of probation, or risk losing your scholarship. You will be evaluated after one year of study at AUC, and your ASF Scholarship will be awarded for another year if you:
- have successfully passed the first year (a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably with a GPA ≥ 3.5)
- receive a positive recommendation at the end of your first year from your AUC tutor and the Board of Examiners
- can prove that the financial need base has not changed.
The same procedure is followed at the end of your second year. ASF Scholarships are not, in principle, awarded for more than three years/six semesters in total.
If you are receiving an ASF Scholarship and you decide to, or have to, end your studies at AUC without graduating, your ASF Scholarship will be terminated, and you must reimburse the AUC Scholarship Fund in full for all the ASF Scholarship payments you have already received.
ASF Scholarship holders are important ambassadors for AUC and the Scholarship Fund. They are expected to participate in activities with AUC sponsors and other AUC contacts, including the AUC alumni network, and to cooperate in the promotion of the ASF. Your ASF Scholarship may be terminated if you unreasonably refuse to participate in such activities.
For general questions regarding AUC scholarships, please contact the AUC Scholarship Fund using the link below.